Faculty - Dr. Senay Simsek
General Research Areas
- Structure function relationships of carbohydrates
- Cereal chemistry and quality
- Utilization of grain derived functional ingredients in the baking industry
- Value adding strategies for cereal and legume byproducts
Specific Research Areas
- Improvement of bakery products with cyclodextrin inclusion complexes
- Production of biodegradable packaging film from cereal and legume byproducts
- Improving healthfulness of bakery products with cereal polysaccharides
- Structure function relationship of arabinoxylan from cereals and pulses
- Utilization of vacuum steam pasteurization for pathogen reduction in wheat
- Celiac disease antigenicity in wheat
- Anderson, C.; Simsek, S., A novel combination of methods for the extraction and purification of arabinoxylan from byproducts of the cereal industry. Journal of Food Measurement and Characterization 2019, 13 (2), 1049-1057.
- Anderson, C.; Simsek, S., Mechanical profiles and topographical properties of films made from alkaline extracted arabinoxylans from wheat bran, maize bran, or dried distillers grain. Food hydrocolloids 2019, 86, 78-86.
- Balic, R.; Miljkovic, T.; Ozsisli, B.; Simsek, S., Utilization of modified wheat and tapioca starches as fat replacements in bread formulation. Journal of Food Processing and Preservation 2017, 41 (1), e12888.
- Malalgoda, M.; Meinhardt, S. W.; Simsek, S., Detection and quantitation of immunogenic epitopes related to celiac disease in historical and modern hard red spring wheat cultivars. Food chemistry 2018, 264, 101-107.
- Mendis, M.; Leclerc, E.; Reuhs, B. L.; Simsek, S., Structure driven immunomodulatory properties of xylo-/arabinoxylo-oligosaccharides and arabinoxylans in RAW264. 7 macrophages. Bioactive Carbohydrates and Dietary Fibre 2019, 17, 100177.
- Mendis, M.; Martens, E. C.; Simsek, S., How fine structural differences of xylooligosaccharides and arabinoxylooligosaccharides regulate differential growth of Bacteroides species. Journal of agricultural and food chemistry 2018, 66 (31), 8398-8405.
- Mendis, M.; Simsek, S., Production of structurally diverse wheat arabinoxylan hydrolyzates using combinations of xylanase and arabinofuranosidase. Carbohydrate polymers 2015, 132, 452-459.
- Ovando-Martínez, M.; Whitney, K.; Reuhs, B. L.; Doehlert, D. C.; Simsek, S., Effect of hydrothermal treatment on physicochemical and digestibility properties of oat starch. Food Research International 2013, 52 (1), 17-25.
- Simsek, S.; Wood, K.; Reuhs, B. L., Structural analysis of succinoglycan oligosaccharides from Sinorhizobium meliloti strains with different host compatibility phenotypes. Journal of bacteriology 2013, 195 (9), 2032-2038.
- Simsek, S.; Zhang, Y.; Campanella, O. H., Physicochemical properties of arabinoxlans in refrigerated dough. Food research international 2010, 43 (8), 2119-2125.
- Simsek, T.; Simsek, S.; Mayer, C.; Rasulev, B., Experimental and Computational Study on the Inclusion Complexes of β-Cyclodextrin with Selected Food Phenolic Compounds. 2019.
- Whitney, K.; Reuhs, B. L.; Martinez, M. O.; Simsek, S., Analysis of octenylsuccinate rice and tapioca starches: Distribution of octenylsuccinic anhydride groups in starch granules. Food chemistry 2016, 211, 608-615.
- Whitney, K.; Simsek, S., Reduced gelatinization, hydrolysis, and digestibility in whole wheat bread in comparison to white bread. Cereal Chemistry 2017, 94 (6), 991-1000.
- Simsek, S., Application of xanthan gum for reducing syruping in refrigerated doughs. Food hydrocolloids 2009, 23 (8), 2354-2358.