Faculty - Dr. Mario Ferruzzi
General Research Areas
- Phytochemical and botanical chemistry with focus on food pigments and flavonoids
- Development of methodologies for determination of phytochemicals in food and biological matrices
- Investigation of food processing effects on phytochemical profiles, bioavailability, and ultimate bioactivity
- Development of strategies for incorporation and stabilization of phytochemicals in food systems
- Song B, Sapper T, Burtch C, Brimmer K, Goldschmidt M, Ferruzzi MG. Photo and thermal degradation of anthocyanins from grape and purple sweet potato in model beverage systems. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 61(6):1364-72. 2013.
- Lipkie T, De Moura F, Zhao Z, Albertsen M, Che P, Glassman K and Ferruzzi MG. Bioaccessibility of carotenoids from transgenic provitamin A biofortified sorghum. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 61(24):5764-71. 2013.
- Bordenave N, Hamaker BR, and Ferruzzi MG. Nature and consequences of non-covalent interactions between flavonoids and macronutrients in foods. Food & Function. 5(1):18-34. 2014.
- Moser S, Chegeni M, Jones OG, Liceaga A and Ferruzzi MG. The effect of milk proteins on the bioaccessibility of green tea flavan-3-ols. Food Research International. 66: 297-305. 2014.
- Song BJ, Manganais C, Ferruzzi MG. Thermal degradation of green tea flavan-3-ols and formation of hetero- and homocatechin dimers in model dairy beverages. Food Chemistry. 173:305-312. 2015.
- Ortiz D, Rocheford T and Ferruzzi MG. Influence of temperature and humidity on the stability of carotenoids in biofortified maize cultivars. Journal of Agricultural and Food Chemistry. 64(13), 2727-2736. 2016.
- Moser S, Lim J, Chegeni M, Wightman JD, Hamaker BR, Ferruzzi MG. Concord and Niagara grape juice and their phenolics modify intestinal glucose transport in a coupled in vitro digestion/Caco-2 human intestinal model. Nutrients. 5;8(7). pii: E414. 2016
- Furrer A, Cladis DP, Kurilich A, Manoharan R and Ferruzzi MG. Phytochemical content and recovery through industrial and fresh processing of commercial potato varieties. Food Chemistry. 218, 47-55. 2017.
- He Z, Chen J, Moser SE, Jones OG and Ferruzzi MG. Interaction of ?-casein with (?)-epigallocatechin-3-gallate in a milk-based tea beverage model system assayed by fluorescence quenching: effect of thermal processing temperature. International Journal of Food Science and Technology. 51 (2), 342-348. 2016.
- Li M, Hansen L, Koecher K, Ferruzzi MG. Phenolic recovery and bioaccessibility from milled and finished whole grain oat products. Food & Function. 10;7(8):3370-81. 2016.
- Lipkie TE, Ferruzzi MG, Weaver CM. Low bioaccessibility of vitamin D2 from yeast-fortified bread compared to crystalline D2 bread and D3 from fluid milks. Food & Function. In Press. 2016